Clinics & Services
Our nurses are qualified to diploma level in chronic disease management and offer the following services:
- Disease management clinics for diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma/chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and coronary heart disease
- Travel advice, vaccinations and baby immunisations
- They run the practice cervical smear recall programme
- They give guidance on sexual health and contraception including the issue of free condoms
- They also offer smoking cessation and weight management advice
The nursing team is supported by our three Nursing Assistants. They:
- Have phlebotomy skills (taking blood samples).
- Complete new patient checks.
- Assist in the disease management and health promotion clinics.
- Work independently to offer smoking and lifestyle advice.
- Organise 24-hour blood pressure monitoring.
- Offer non urgent ECGs (heart tracing).
- Support the nursing team in the administration of some vaccines such as ‘flu.
- Provide wound care.
Primary Health Care Team (Health Visitors, District Nurses, Midwife and Community Matron)
All these attached staff work closely with the Ashwell Team to offer you integrated health care. Our Health Visiting Team help to look after our families with children under the age of five.
Drop-in advice, weighing and general support Health Visitors Clinic
Health Visitors Clinic
- Tuesday 9:00am - 11:00am
- Thursday 1.00pm - 3.00 pm
Our team of District Nurses help to look after patients who are housebound or who find it difficult to attend surgery. They deal with chronic disease management and wound care in the comfort of your home.
Our Community Matron, may take you onto her caseload if you have complex chronic health care needs. Her remit is to help you stay well at home.
Our team of Midwives are responsible for providing care in pregnancy.
You can book direct with the midwife as soon as you know you are pregnant. Simply inform our reception team who arrange booking appointments. An Antenatal clinic is held Wednesday afternoons at Ashwell Medical Centre.
Financial, Legal and Housing Advice
A "HealthPlus" Advisor can help you with your benefit entitlements, housing or immigration issues. By appointment, ask at reception, you do NOT need a GP referral.
Available for advice and information for patients and carers.
We are pleased to offer physiotherapy at the Ashwell Building by referral.
Going on holiday? We are able to offer a full range of travel vaccines. Our nursing team are able to offer advice on vaccination requirements. Please book an appointment well in advance of your holiday.
Non NHS Services
We also offer a wide range of Non NHS Services for which a charge will be payable to the practice. These include: HGV/Taxi medicals, confirmation of registration, medical reports, etc. Please ask at reception for details of the charges applicable.